What to Expect During a Massage Therapy
Not so long ago, massage was only available in luxury spas and top-class health clubs. Today, however, massage therapy businesses are allover, including at airports, clinics, and hospitals. If you have never had a professional massage, here is what you should expect when visiting the chiropractor in 90304 and what to expect in the process.
What is a Massage?
Massage refers to kneading and manipulating the body muscles and other soft tissues to enhance the health and well-being of an individual. It’s a form of manual therapy involving touch, holding, moving, pressing against muscles, tendons, and other supportive structures like ligaments and fascia.
Massage therapy refers to the many techniques that vary in the touch and pressure application on the body muscles and the intensity applied during treatment.
Types of Massage
Different massage types include:
- Myotherapy. Here the doctor assesses and provides the necessary treatment on soft tissue pain and injuries affecting body mobility. It focuses on restoring the health and functioning of the muscle tissue.
- Remedial. This massage type involves assessing and rehabilitation of signs, symptoms, and reasons for tissues’ biomechanical dysfunction. It uses special movement techniques for normal health and function restoration.
- Therapeutic. It’s also called the Western or Swedish massage. It’s most popular in Australia and uses techniques meant to enhance blood circulation.
- Lymphatic Drainage. It’s a gentle full-body therapy that eases the nervous system and improves the body’s immune system effectiveness.
- Aromatherapy. This massage therapy near you includes the addition of essential unique flower and plant oils into the massage oil for their specific therapeutic properties. For example, the sandalwood scent is known to minimize nervous tension.
- Baby Massage. It helps in constipation treatment and colic and sleeping conditions. Studies indicate that a regular baby massage increases the baby’s rate of weight gain.
- Reflexology. This massage at the South Bay Wellness Center is based on the principle that some body parts reflect the entire body. Whole-body reflex points are mostly found around the feet, hands, and ears. These points respond to pressure that naturally stimulate full-body healing.
- Shiatsu. It’s an oriental body massage focusing on improving the body energy flow by moving specific body points. It’s based on the basic principles of acupuncture.
- Sports. It’s an application massage, not particularly for therapy, but for people primarily involved in sports. The type of massage issued depends on the stage of training, competition, or injury condition. Sports massage combines several techniques that aim to improve performance and relaxing overworked muscles.
Expectation During the Therapy
No preparation is needed before a massage therapy near you. Before starting, the chiropractor in 90304 needs information on your medical history and your expected results after the massage. Your therapist then explains what techniques and procedures s/he will use in the massage.
A typical massage requires that you undress or put on loose-fitting clothes. Note that you only undress to your comfort point. You then lie on a padded table, or you can have a massage while sitting if you like. Your therapist then performs a touch diagnosis to detect pain and distress points and how much pressure he will apply.
Your chiropractor can use massage oil or lotion on your skin to reduce friction, depending on what you prefer. If you are allergic to ingredients of any kind, it’s advisable to inform your massage therapist.
A typical massage session lasts between 10 and 90 minutes but varies depending on the message type and how much time the patient has. No matter the type of massage, the patient should feel relaxed and calm after the process. We advise that you breathe normally throughout the session.
If you prefer it, your massage therapist can play certain types of music you prefer or engage you in a conversation. You can also let him/her know if you like it quiet. You are also allowed to ask the therapist to apply less pressure if they overdo it.
Risks of Massage
Massage benefits most people, although it can be inappropriate in some circumstances like:
- If you have bleeding conditions
- Presence of burns or unhealed wounds
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Broken /fractured bones
- Severe osteoporosis
- If you have an inadequate platelet count
You may end up feeling a bit sore from some massage treatments. Still, massage shouldn’t produce pain or discomfort. If a part of the massage feels wrong and painful, it’s best to speak up immediately as most problems come from over-exertion of pressure by the therapist.